Friday, May 21, 2010

I would like to try kick boxing as a form of exercise and self defence?

I thought it would be something Grumpy Teen and I could do together. However, I have a prolapsed disc in my lower spine from slipping a disc 5 years ago. It never went back again. Do you think it would damage my back further to do kick boxing? If this isn%26#039;t appropriate for me, are there any other martial arts I could do?|||There is always the possibility of injury in martial art training. That being said, most traditional martial arts (done correctly) can be very therapeutic on the body. If you are looking for a low-impact martial art that will get you into good physical shape and teach you to protect yourself, you may want to look into Tai Chi or traditional Karate. I practice Tang Soo Do Karate, and most of our training is fairly low-impact. I would suggest looking into a few different schools in your area and take a few practice sessions to get a feel if the instructor, school, and training is right for you.





Good luck!|||Medical fact: discs don%26#039;t %26quot;slip.%26quot; They don%26#039;t move at all. The whole term %26quot;slipped disc%26quot; is a misnomer.





That being said, you probably have a bulging disc or some other type of back injury. I have a chronic back condition myself.





Sadly, it CAN limit you in the martial arts. However, you can still enjoy them, and kickboxing might be okay if you are careful.





So try it and see, but ice the injured area of your back every night for 20 minutes (this REALLY helps. If the disc doesn%26#039;t swell up, it won%26#039;t hurt.) and be careful to warm up before you stretch. At least 20 minutes of cardio before any stretching. Cold stretching puts a huge amout of strain on your joints.





And with the kicks, start off slow. If anyone asks about it, explain that you are testing your back to see how much it can take before you jump in at full power. They will understand. Every week, take it up 10% or 20%. If your back holds strong to 100%, you%26#039;re doing great. This way you will slowly build up the core strength that kicking requires.





Good luck!|||I did kickboxing for 2 and a half years and it got me really fit and flexible and even now i still know how to defend myself if i have to.Its a great form of exercise is say go for it.However if you have a bad back i would ask the instructor if its ok for you to do certain techniques before you try them because some kicks are demanding on your back because you have to put your waist into the kick and that might damage your back.|||im not sure how your back would affect kickboxing


also have you been to a chiropractor, i go to one and it helps my back





also, listen to alex, DO NOT TAKE JUDO IF YOU HAVE A BAD BACK, it is killer on your back even when you know how to do break falls and what not|||Judo is the last martial art you would want to try with a bad back. In judo you are constantly being thrown and landing flat on your back - ouch! I think kickboxing would be easier for you, but it will put strain on your lower back as well...|||You can try it and see.





Boxing may be easier. As far as Judo or some other martial arts. A lot of them are going to get you slammed on the ground over and over. Painful even when your back is healthy!





Good luck!|||Try Judo. It%26#039;s not as aggressive, but just as effecive. It%26#039;s kind of a %26quot;gentle%26quot; martial art.|||have you thought of asking a doctor|||I say %26#039;go for it%26#039; !!!


best of luck

No comments:

Post a Comment