Friday, May 21, 2010

How can an amateur ensure professional boxing technique?

I enjoy boxing-in a very broad sense. I like to watch fights, I like to read about the history. I love the sport and I vaule the practicality of the self defense. I%26#039;m even finding some fun in trading leather with my friends in the backyard.





But my concern is this; my friends and I aren%26#039;t going to a real boxing gym, we%26#039;re just messing around at our leisure-but we all value boxing skills, and are trying hard to maintain real form and technique.





The sparring matches are improving us as fighters, but maybe not as boxers. I worry we could be practicing bad habits without having a pro trainer there to correct us.





Aside from obvious basics like practices the boxing moves in front of a mirror and working the bags, and trying to maintain proper form while actually sparring, are there any tips or advice for an amateur boxer to help train as a boxer, and not just a no talent brawler?|||work the heavy bag for timed two minute rounds...practice holding a bar of soap or a rolled up sock on your cheek with one hand while punching with the other, then switch, practice two man jabbing drill where you jab and your partner throws a hook over that side immediately after to keep you pulling your jab hand back into a cover positon...practice bobbing under punches, under right , under left...always practice finishing with a nice power shot, if you throw jab cross, finish with a hook under or over and step out , practice stepping out in both directions, bobbing in both directions and backing out at angles...backing straight out is one of the top causes of getting clocked on a counter...always get plenty of stamina work, run...and get some ab work in...work hard and good luck!|||If you are a Right hander,lead with your left foot.When squaring off,keep your elbows by your body,your hands guarding your face yet ready to strike.When you are Jabbing,your left hand should be whip-like,It does not stay out ie, on contact with full face of fist,whipping it back with a turning motion.Power punches are increased with your body weight and legs behind your punches.|||The very best thing you can do is find a gym in your area that is affiliated with USA Boxing and has a coach who can teach you Olympic-style boxing. It is impossible to train yourself. If you are interested, please email me at mel@amateurboxing.com and tell me your city and state. I%26#039;ll be happy to send you a contact in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment