Friday, May 21, 2010

How can some joe-schmo like me get into boxing?

I%26#039;m 23 and in the Navy, but no one is really into boxing where I%26#039;m stationed. Back home, people are into it, and I get out in a year, so I figure I have time to train before I go home for good, and get too old.





I was into Tae Kwon Do back in my early to mid teens, but I%26#039;ve gotten so rusty at it, the only thing I%26#039;ve retained is my hand-eye coordination (thanks to boot camp), and I%26#039;m still light on my feet (thanks to soccer), so boxing is the only thing I think I%26#039;d fit into as far as full contact sports. But my endurance is better than it was during karate school... I%26#039;m able to run 3 miles with no problem nowadays.





As far as my size, I%26#039;m 6 feet even, and just under 200 lbs, so I%26#039;d be on the heavy side of cruiserweight, which I guess is a good thing.





Any boxers out there have a take on this? I need some tips on boxing specific training, and how to get started in the sport.|||They are always on the look out for someone to hold the %26quot;spit bucket%26quot; between rounds. Not sure if it pays good though.|||You get started by looking online for gyms in your area...then call and tell the owner that you wanna come down and start and let him know what time you will be showing up....then go down and he will tell you how much it costs per month, and he will set you up with a trainer. Then you and the trainer figure out what days and times you will be showing up to train.|||Go to a boxing gym and tell them you want to box, throw some money at them and I%26#039;m sure you%26#039;ll be on your way in no time!! Good luck!! I was in the Air Force in the early 70%26#039;s and every base that I was at had a boxing team, maybe the Navy does the same, if they do it%26#039;ll be cheaper.|||all the services have a boxing program go online and see where yours is. My dad was the boxing champ in 1943 in the us navy but got knocked out by the heavy weight champ Golden Gloves back in Chicago during WWII|||Now this is some coincidence My grandfather was the Navy Champ back in 1943, How is this possible? He even has the Trophy from the CISM and a picture with him holding the trophy up after his victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment