Saturday, November 14, 2009

Boxing....?

For someone that lifts weights and is trying to get into boxing, just for fun and messing around; how heavy of a bag should they start with? (Not the speed bags, the heavy ones)|||Try 1/3 to 1/2 of your own weight as a starter, then use the bag and see how you are doing. Adjust the weight by increasing or decreasing the fill. And, at some point, you are going to have to modify your weightlifting if you ever get serious about boxing. As for most sports, lifting lighter weights more reps will keep you fit for physical activity. Lifting the heaviest weights you can handle will get you ready for the beach but not for the ring.|||Try several different sizes of bags and go with the one you are most comfortable with. If it%26#039;s too light, it will move too much when you hit it. If it%26#039;s too heavy, it won%26#039;t move at all! It should have some movement, but not enough to interrupt the flow of your punches. Make sure you anchor it very securely. Heavy bags are hard on ceilings; they can rip out.|||Boxing and Weightlifting do not go together my friend. the weights tighten the muscle, and in Boxing, you need all of the flexability you can get! You can ask any Boxer this question, and are going to basicaly get the same resutls. They just dont work together. Boxers dont lift weights. Now %26quot;Dumbells%26quot; are a different story. when your practicing a jab, hook, uppercut, any of your punches, a 5lb. dumbell can be used. It%26#039;s not neccisary, but can be done, I Boxed for the U.S.Army for 10 years, Did real good too! And never lifted weights once. I was all Army Champion 2 years in a row, and All-Service-Champion 2 years in a row. I probably could have gotten out, and had allot of offers to, So I could turn Pro, But turned them down, And decided to make the Military my career. Thus ending my Boxing career. I helped alot of guys out sparring, training and such afterwords, But never got back in the ring again for a meaningfull fight. Here lately though, I have been kind of considering a %26quot;Comeback%26quot;, seriously! I%26#039;m in great shape, Dont have the abs I used to, reflexes have slowed a bit, and vision is anot the best anymore either. And oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention, I was born in 1949, and am currently 58 years old. Think that could pose a problem friend? Maybe you could help manage me? Then we could find an opponent roughly my age, (at least within 5 years) Then see if %26quot;Las Vegas%26quot; would be interested into letting the fight take place there? We can come up with an %26quot;Eye-Catching%26quot; phrase for the fight, Something like %26quot;The Geezers At Cesars%26quot; (Cesars palace), Or Instead of %26quot;Fight Of The Century%26quot; It could be called %26quot;Fight Of The Centarians%26quot;, lmaorotf. I hope your laughing as hard as me over this. MY side actually hurting me! Oh I needed that laugh. Did me some good it did. Anyways my friend, enough %26quot;Ranrings%26quot; and %26quot;Ravings%26quot; from this old coot, So I%26#039;ll let you get back to your life now hahahaha. You Take Care Friend, and God-Bless to You and Yours. 1st Sgt., 7th Special Forces, (Ret.) Vietnam 67-70

No comments:

Post a Comment