Monday, November 16, 2009

What was it that made you fall in love with the sport of boxing?

Oh man!!!!! I wouldn%26#039;t know where to begin. From my insipirations like Ali, Leonard, Duran, to the modern greats to the difference with the other sports. It is the ultimate test of will. One on One no team to back you up all the glory for you in victory, or it is all your fault in defeat. Definitely an art. I love boxing and it has become a great part in my life. What are your stories?





P.S. No stupid answers please (trolls) real fans please answer. thanks.|||When I was a kid, I used to like the old black and white pictures. Oh, the television was black and white. We used to watch boxing when I was young. Into the 70%26#039;s, you have to realize I grew up with watching Ali-Frazier-Foreman and all those guys. I watched leonard-hagler-duran. We had Andy Ganigan in Hawaii. I enjoyed watching a good boxing match.|||Well, first it started with my parents watching the sport when I was a kid. Muhammad Ali had not too long had his final bout by the time I had started watching. So, I was lucky enough to see the likes of Hearns, Hagler, Holmes, Leonard, and Chavez just to name a few. Then Mike Tyson comes to the scene doing what he did best to steal the media spot light. What Tyson did in the ring as well as highlights of those before my time was simply an art of beauty.





As for taking up the sport, I was in middle school, when I met twin brothers who were already into boxing. On several attempts, they tried getting me into boxing, but I would refuse. Later they insured me that everything would be fine, so I tried it and was definitely glad to have gotten the opportunity to live the experience... an experience indeed. |||My grandfather was a boxer in WWII in the Navy. When I was 12 he noticed that I was a very hyper child and thought it would be a good way for me to channel the energy into something worth while. It really pushed my limits on just about everything and made me the man I am today. Yeah I like the greats, Liston, Ali, Frazier and even some of the older guys, but my grandfather was probably my biggest inspiration and mentor for getting me into the sport, everyone else was just someone for me to admire for there skills as pros.|||I feel your love for the sport. Both me and my husband share a love for the sport. For me growing up as a tomboy who has beaten up quite a few boys when I was young. I grew up in a seriously bad neighborhood in a time when it wasn%26#039;t about guns it was about fists. My husband use to box for the Army and now we both just train our daughters and son. Not so much to become a boxer but to know and master it for what ever reasons they desire (especially self defense). My all-time favorite boxer is Oscar. He was and is real unlike some boxers such as Floyd Mayweather. I could see Oscar DeLa Hoya%26#039;s love for the sport not backing down to no one. Even if he lost some he never backed down. That is the best part for me. In life I might have lost some but I never backed down. That is what boxing use to be, and I hope it gets back to that. |||for me it is from watching all of some of the new generation boxers.its also the opportunities that come with boxing like traveling to all new places.the determination the will also plays a ig part and its also pretty inspirational and a confidence booster.and I also just love the speeches that you always hear from coaches that sound like theyre straight out of a movie.|||It makes the things that are weird about me into positives. It tests you in a way that other things can%26#039;t. When someone else beats the **** out of your face, and you bleed, and the body shots make you feel like puking, and you%26#039;re tired, and you wonder if you%26#039;re good enough or you%26#039;re just a weakling, you have that moment where you%26#039;ll either break or you%26#039;ll pick yourself up and keep going, and it doesn%26#039;t matter what anyone else thinks, your opponent doesn%26#039;t matter, the people watching don%26#039;t matter, it%26#039;s just you and the battle in your head, and only you know whether you%26#039;re a quitter or a strong person.





That%26#039;s what I love about it. I can%26#039;t understand it when people say they want to fight because that way they can hurt someone without getting in trouble. For me it%26#039;s always been about myself, not hurting someone else. When I%26#039;m training I just think about how I can push myself and push myself and maybe if I%26#039;m strong enough, I%26#039;ll never break.|||Man i dunno where to start or what to add to everything u said, like u it has become great part of my life, i love the art of it, and am inspired by all the great, it may sound crazy but i somehow found myself when i did boxing.. i can go alll day telling u why i love it|||When Sugar Ray Leonard taped a photo of his son, who happened to be my age, to his ankle, in the 1976 olympics. As a little kid, I could really identify with that. And also there was Ali back then as well, who might as well have been a living comic book hero to a 4 year old.|||The art and science of fighting. That%26#039;s why boxing is called the %26quot;sweet science%26quot;.|||My dad used to sit me and my brothers down every saturday afternoon to watch a programme called grandstand, ( I think it was grandstand), it was the early 1980s, Boxing used to get a 2hour coverage slot of all the recent fights that had gone on. This was the best part of my weekend. When the big American fights were happening he used to wake us up in the early hours to watch the big fights. Brilliant. My Bro%26#039;s never really took to it but I did. An early memory that stands out for me is when %26quot;The Motorcity Cobra%26quot; Thomas Hearns KO%26#039;d our own Dennis Andries for the WBC light heavyweight title, I was 11, that was it, I was hooked. Tyson had just unified the heavyweight title and Honeyghan was on a roll, flattening Gene Hatcher in about 30 secs.


I went to my local gym the next day, The lodge ABC. Within 10 seconds of being there a heavyweight walked past me with a smashed nose. I was amazed. The smell, the sound, the sight, it%26#039;s what it%26#039;s all about man!! I was told that boxing is an art, a science, once i got into it i found out how great it was to use the art of %26quot;hit and not be hit%26quot;. I was one of those boxers, stick and move type. The fab four were around back then and I based myself on %26quot;sugar%26quot; Ray. I was pretty good too, fast, sharp, accurate. I loved being in the gym, the ring, everything. From then on I lived boxing 24/7, Training, Learning, reading books dating back to the 1800%26#039;s, watching video archives, from John.L (and before) to todays crop. Once you actually look past the brutal side of things, boxing is definitely a noble art and a sweet science. It%26#039;s absolutely brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment