Monday, November 16, 2009

How can I become a boxing judge?

I%26#039;ve been a lifelong fan of the sport. I love boxing and watch every fight I can. A judge would be my dream job.|||I judged for six years, both amateur and pro. It is an experience I would recommend to anyone who would like to get involved in the %26quot;nuts and bolts%26quot; of a boxing event. Having an official %26quot;say%26quot; as to who won or lost a fight. . . it%26#039;s hard to explain just how great it is.





I%26#039;d contact your state athletic commission, and ask them how to proceed. They%26#039;ll probably tell you to get experience in the amateur fight game, first (that%26#039;s what they told me). I joined a local boxing gym, asked if they needed a judge, and for a couple of months I sat and observed their sparring sessions and tournaments. Then I was allowed to sit next to the official judges at the table to observe and learn. The conversations with various judges over the years while I was learning were some of the most educational discussions I%26#039;ve ever been part of. Lots of insight as to HOW to properly judge, and which judges are full of BS. . . .





Actually, in the amateur tournaments, I was simply %26quot;trusted%26quot; to do the right thing (A 20-dollar annual fee to USA Boxing, the national amateur organization, is all that really got me started). With that membership card, it allows you to be %26quot;credentialed%26quot; at amateur shows, but also you%26#039;re VISIBLE and remembered by %26quot;big wigs%26quot;. . . . .





Best of luck, and I hope to see you on HBO soon!|||All you need to be is either inept/corrupt and you are good to go. Promoters will be calling you all day and night!

No comments:

Post a Comment