Saturday, November 14, 2009

What is the biggest highlight in your life having to do with boxing?

It can be watching, doing, or maybe something on a different level pertaining to boxing|||I was in Massachusettes...Brockton, MA. Yeah, that%26#039;s the place.


I get in the gym and look around. In one of the two rings were two guys shadow boxing...you know just moving with one another. Some older guy threw combos against the heavy bag. I sat and watched, visiting from Virginia. A suit walks in and introduces himself. I tell him my fight experience, and he thinks I%26#039;m a fake. Any how, he takes me around the gym telling me who%26#039;s on the wall, and who%26#039;s hitting the bag. It was one of Hagler%26#039;s old sparring partners. Marvin%26#039;s.


Then this guy walks in. Bright guy, friendly, the kind of guy you%26#039;d give a hug, and I%26#039;m thinking I know this guy. He talks a bit to the suit, takes a couple more steps and now he%26#039;s talking to another trainer.


Meanwhile maybe four or five other older gentleman walk in and straight to the back room.


I say %26quot;I know that guy.%26quot;


the suit says %26quot;who? that guy? Oh yeah? From where?%26quot;


I%26#039;m not sure yet, but I know this guy. lol. then it hits me.


I say to the guy that I recognize %26quot;On your head,%26quot; I%26#039;m pointing to the top of my head, and I say %26quot;the birth mark.%26quot;


The guy lights up, and smiles. It was %26quot;Reggie Simms Hagler%26quot; Marvelous Marvin%26#039;s younger brother. I%26#039;ll never forget it. He shakes my hand, we talked a bit more and then he was gone to the back room too.


Now it%26#039;s me and the suit again, and this guy just thinks that I%26#039;m lieing about everything, so as a test he says %26quot;ok, tell that to Goody%26quot;





that%26#039;s right %26quot;Goody Petrolleni%26quot; it%26#039;s still his gym, home of Marvelous, Reggie Simms, and yes %26quot;Rocky Marciano%26quot; and there I stood, in Petrolleni%26#039;s office with all these guys that go down in boxing history, plus with a up and coming young fighter, who was due to fight the next day. Thank you so much for that question...|||Never even made it to the amateurs in boxing. But I had some good sparring session. I had a backyard brawl with a 6%26#039;7%26quot; version of Thomas Hearns in which the punches were sizzling through the air in the same manner a dodgball whizzes by my head. I had purpley and yellowy bruises on my hips, elbows, wrists and forehead from the shots I absorbed with my arms. Got hit in the side twice and was effectively paralyzed and had to quit before the grim reaper stepped in to stop it. As much as a beating I took, I was fairly proud considering this guy could win street fights in 2 seconds. I begged him to take up the sport, he was a natural athlete, but he basically had social anxiety disorder. He couldn%26#039;t perform athletically in front of an audience, but he could beat the hell out of a friend in boxing gloves or leave someone for dead in a streetfight.





The night Leonard beat Hagler was big for me. I was a HUGE Ray Leonard fan, and I was fairly terrified that Hagler was going to knock his eyeballs loose. I didn%26#039;t sleep that night. When Ray pulled it out, i couldn%26#039;t get the adrenalin to stop pumping.|||In the late 1960s, when Muhammad Ali was stripped of his title and banned from boxing, he went around the country giving speeches at college campuses. One he gave was at a college here in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I went to see him.





At the time, Ali was in his late 20s and he gave a VERY impressive speech. He was articulate, intelligent and humorous. The audience lapped it up.





After the speech, a group of us surrounded Ali asking him questions. I asked him if could beat Joe Frazier. Ali looked at me and said, %26quot;If Joe Frazier even DREAMS he can beat me, he should apologize.%26quot;





Ali WAS the greatest!|||I was at the Cruz-Miranda fight in Tulsa and I had a great time. Me and my girlfriend always frequent the MMA events but this was our first time at a boxing match live. We got third row seats and a great view of the action, and the fights were great from my vantage point. The Quintero-Casal fight was my favorite, a nice little war. I was somewhat dissapointed in Miranda%26#039;s performance, but the knockout from Cruz was incredible. I plan on making the trip up to OKC to see the fights at Remington Park on Valentines Day. My girlfriend is really buzzing about it and we are going to take her little brother (he is nine) to his first boxing event, and the kid is going crazy about it.|||Mine would be my first ever Heavyweight amateur bout. I was really nervous and looking around the place. When i saw the guy i had to fight, i got really intimidated. Big fella. Very bulky and had tattoos over his body. When i got into the ring, the guy charged at me. He threw quite alot of punches and i just blocked and moved, trying to clear my head. The second round i saw the guy looked a bit tired. I don%26#039;t know how i did it, but when the guy threw a right, i ducked and threw an over-hand right flush on the guys jaw. The guy dropped. He stood back up and looked lost, then his corner threw in the towel. I was just so bloody happy.|||i will always remember when i waited up all night to watch the fight between lennox lewis and hasim rahman, for all of lewis%26#039;s belts at that rumble in the jungle, in some mountains the venue was at.


i loved to watch lewis fight and i had never seen a PPV fight before, so my dad told me to go to bed and he would wake me at 4 AM but i didnt want to risk missing my first PPV, i had massive hopes in lennox, and then i watched hasim rahman just drop lewis big time, really knocked him out with a perfect punch lol i was well annoyed|||Last night I won my first fight in the State tournament i got a black swollen eye, fat lip, messed up nose but i still won so it%26#039;s not to bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment